Nelson Place School
The Worcester Fire Department and the Facilities Department responded to Nelson Place School for a report of the smell of gas. Students were initially evacuated and then relocated to the gym, cafeteria, and library within the school. It appears that a boiler has a faulty exhaust and was emitting fumes back into the school. The boilers (and subsequently the heat) were shutdown to parts of the building. Students were returned to most classrooms shortly before noon while others were relocated for the remainder of the day elsewhere in the building because of cold temperatures in the classroom. It was determined that afternoon preschool could operate safely and warmly within their classrooms and we did not interrupt their normal schedule. A number of students were dismissed by their parents during the day. The parents were informed of the status through Connect-Ed message that was sent by the school.
Work to make the necessary repairs will occur this afternoon and evening.
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Nelson Place boiler
You may have seen the reports regarding the evacuation of Nelson Place today.