Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Beware of the Leopard

In honor Douglas Adams' birthday today, Who-cester brings you the following quote, which, if you saw yesterday's joint committee meeting, was what I was thinking of when I made my comments about the process for Nelson Place. Arthur Dent has discovered that his house is to be destroyed for a bypass and goes to complain that he had received no notice of it: 
"But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."
"Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything."
"But the plans were on display ..."
"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."
"That's the display department."
"With a flashlight."
"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."
"So had the stairs."
"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"
"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."

No comments: