- City Paper of Baltimore has an interview with the new head of the Baltimore Public Schools, Gregory Thorton. Dare I say it sounds hopeful? (And I'm glad they're getting the bubblers fixed. It matters.)
- Rev. John Thomas has a good post on the loss of democracy around public schools, which were created to serve democracy. And yes, a quote from John Adams!
- Valerie Strauss at the Answer Sheet points out another rebellion on PARCC: Chicago's CEO of public schools doesn't want to do it.
- In Politico's story on rebellion against the Common Core, Massachusetts is the "only state" allowing districts to do a Common Core test or not--" and they're doing it in violation of federal law." Not exactly true, as MCAS is Common Core-aligned as well, but the bit about violating the law makes us look rebellious!
- Interesting column on race, class, and Whitey Bulger as part of WGBH and the Schuster Institute for Investigative Journalism's series on the 40th anniversary of Boston busing.
Friday, October 24, 2014
A round-up of some worthwhile reads.