Sunday, January 5, 2014

New year, new tech

I've been a bit quiet here on the blog (save, of course, our weather-related news), not only due to the holidays but also due to a tech glitch: my electronic sidekick, my blue netbook, bit the dust in the week between Christmas and New Year's.
It is, of course, only a piece of machinery, but it served me through three campaigns and two terms of school committee; on (literally) planes, trains, automobiles, and boats; in and out of Board of Ed and Joint Committee testimony; and through countless liveblogged meetings. I won't deny that I mourn its end.
I am demanding and particular about the technology I use, and so replacement has been time-consuming and difficult. And, unfortunately for me, the world decided in the four years that I had my netbook that netbooks were not something that they were going to continue, leaving us awash in giant laptops and with many touchscreen tablets, but without many options that were small and had full QWERTY keyboards.
Yesterday, the replacement came, and, for those of you who care about such things, I'm typing this today on an Asus Transformer, which is a 10 inch touchscreen tablet that has a native (and included) keyboard. So far, so good.
And it has a ten hour battery life!

No comments: