Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Rushton comments

asks if the breakdown of added students can be more than one?
you can be both low income and ELL (for example)
reviews the numbers for low income, ELL,
more money for low income? Yes, but the Title 1 funding is projected to be down by 8%
Is that the only area that we receive a bump up for those students?
we get an increase for any ELL and low income
what are you finding of the actual cost versus how much we get?
intent of adequacy study: all of these are issues of concerns
I should note that Brian Allen is taking all of these questions
do we have numbers?
"I do understand sports analogies...I hear the word 'strain'...conversely, I'm hearing 29 out of 44 schools are Level 3 or Level 4...maybe you can say it's not the whole school,, that's not really working for me...I'm not hearing the alarm bells...a delta between what it costs to educate a student and what we are given...economic development tool as well as a quality of life tool...when we come back to budget, I kinda gotta get a sense from the school administration that we're passively accepting that we're not going to get more money...corralation between getting more money and student achievement...if there are areas that you as an educator don't feel comfortable signing off on, I need to know that...want to be sure we're delivering a quality product"
Boone: you just signified to me that I did hit a home run...we've got to do something differently
"we're beginning to take a very proactive approach..you have captured everything that we struggle with"
focus on class size...would not ask for money to focus on just general things
I think she either just intentionally or inadvertently misread him...he was saying "do you need us to raise taxes? If you do, you need to put some fire behind it"
what I heard is that you'd focus on Level 3 schools in decending order as they are ranked?
Boone: used across the district...have to ensure there are opportunities for success
details: where the teachers should go?
won't know until this summer how our schools have done on the spring MCAS
"if you can't give me the school, then I want to know the prioritization"
and he wants previous years MCAS

No comments: