Monday, January 25, 2016

And speaking of the Foundation Budget Review Commission

(I know, I know: when I am NOT speaking about the Foundation Budget Review Commission...)

Asked Friday if he supports the Fair Share amendment, Secretary Peyser gave the not-entirely-surprising answer of "no," but then added:
“I don’t think the issues that we face as a Commonwealth here are really about the fact that we don’t have enough revenue. It’s about how we’re using our revenues wisely and well,” he said.
Yes, Secretary Peyser was a voting member of the Foundation Budget Review Commission, which issued a report making abundantly clear that it is lack of revenue, not lack of wisdom, that is plaguing school district finances.
So far as I know, he did not vote against the report, which was issued without a minority report. So, was he incorrect then or is he incorrect now?

And regarding the nonsensical notion that better funding for education hurts the economy, please see Mass Budget.

No comments: