Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Statement from City Manager Augustus

Posted without comment:

Statement by Worcester City Manager Edward Augustus

 

A year ago, I was asked by the City Council to come up with a creative solution to a parking problem that has bedeviled the neighborhood around Worcester State University for years. After months of consulting with a diverse group of stakeholders and investigating numerous options, this week I put forward a plan to fix that multifaceted problem and improve recreation at the same time. Our plan would have eased parking problems for the neighborhood and three elementary schools, increased public recreation space and put aside money for the city to claim additional open space. I still honestly believe that plan would be beneficial to the neighborhood and the entire city. But it’s clear to me that the proposal does not have the support it needs to be a viable option. Therefore, I am withdrawing the proposal and canceling the April 1 public hearing. I want to thank everyone who worked so hard for months to craft a smart, creative solution to this complex problem.

No comments: