Tuesday, December 1, 2009

WEIGH IN on RTTT TODAY!

The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education is soliciting public comment on the state's Race to the Top proposal. YOU NEED TO DO IT TODAY!

Yes, this is short notice, but it seems they didn't exactly get it out in good time. This landed in my inbox this morning (from two directions).

The survey follows the basic outline of the four areas RTTT is looking at (if you read this often, you're familiar with them). Don't let the ed lingo throw you: assessment is testing, data gathering means those charts they put out on MCAS, and the questions about curriculum are generally looking at a top-down approach to formatting. There are questions regarding using student scores to evaluate teachers, private takeover of public schools, and a basic fallback on standardized testing so READ CAREFULLY.

But do fill it out, especially the parts that let you fill in an answer!

2 comments:

Sean Dacey said...

I hate surveys like this- jargon and multiple choice answers leave very little room for me to articulate what I believe!

I truly wonder how much weight is given to the individual comments in a survey such as this.

But, I filled it out! Thanks for posting!

Tracy Novick said...

I entirely agree. I think this is probably a fig leaf to say "public comment was welcomed." Alas!

Glad you weighed in. And I should add here that it would be worth it for citizens to let school committee members and administrators know their opinions as well.