Thursday, November 12, 2009

At the RTTT hearing...

...hearing some strange things about how the "Education Reform Act of 2009" (I haven't gotten a bill number on it yet, but this is the hybrid coming out of the MA Joint Committee on Education) came out of the Joint Committee: dead of night, straight up or down vote, too little time for legislators to read it, etc. Let's just say it's not looking like a victory for the open democratic process.

As to what it has in it, let's keep an eye on the parts dealing with teachers: I'm hearing that it puts superintendents (rather than School Committee) on in negotiations and also strips arbitration. Also it lifts the charter cap, allows for private takeover of schools, and much of what we'd otherwise feared.

I'm in a good spot for finding out more, so I'll update this as I find out more (including the text or at least a summary of the thing, which does not seem to be online).
And while I won't be liveblogging the whole assessment hearing here, I'll post now and then.

3 comments:

outofmass said...

Were there any WPS admin in the audience? Jim Caradonio would have been there front and center.

Tracy Novick said...

Not that I saw (unless you count me, I guess). There was quite a showing of states, many of which had flown state assessment people in for this (as well as for Friday, when they are discussing high school assessment and technology in assessment).

outofmass said...

No, you are now one of the elected officials ;-) I was talking about the central office staff who gets paid to keep on top of these things. You are so passionate, bright, and write thoughtfully about everything, you should be on staff at the central office as during this time of transition they could use someone like you.
If you need to talk to someone in the grants division who will also get you any info you may need you should call Shawna Erickson. You too have a lot of the same traits. You will be a refreshing addition to the school committee!