Saturday, March 23, 2024

for your weekend (?) viewing on MA school finance

I get the sense that people are looking all over for resources on understanding what is going on with school finances in Massachusetts. 

Let me offer three things to watch for help.

  • First, the Mass Municipal Association had Brian Allen (good recommendation, MASBO!) present on chapter 70 this past Wednesday, and they generously are offering the video beyond their membership. It's online here. MMA, remember, is townside, so there's a really good focus there on the local contribution side. 

  • I did a session called "What Happened with Chapter 70?" a week ago Friday for MASC, which never paywalls its recordings; that session is here. Yes, I had a little bit of fun with the theme there. 


  • I got to do something new this week and present to a town finance committee; Rutland's FinCom asked me to come to the session I did in January for Wachusett Regional. Wachusett, though, had me the day the Governor's budget came out, and I am not that fast, so they got FY24 numbers. Rutland FinCom got FY25 this week. That's obviously all Rutland/Wachusett numbers, but if you're a small town in a regional, it might be useful.
    BUT, I AM TOTALLY WRONG ON THE INFLATION QUESTION AT THE END. More coming on that...
    Three errors on the slides: the foundation budget comparison slide has the wrong total for FY25 (yes, Wachusett went up, not down) and the next; and House and Senate don't have a special ed rate yet; and yes, Holden's target pie chart isn't right!
I'm sensing that we may need another round of Q&A on this year's budget...let me see what kind of time I can put together this weekend. 

No comments: