Sunday, May 3, 2020

On checking in

Important post from a teacher's perspective:
This point bears repeating: I know my admin’s intentions were good, as were the superintendent’s office’s. But the impact was the antithesis to what they were going for.
Checking in with me functioned the same as checking off a task on a list of chores. The school district’s attempt to make sure I was “seen” ended up pushing me farther way.
I would only add that it can look like that from a student and family perspective, too.

Also, a teacher sent me this post over the weekend, and I think it's an important read:
...not every educator is so lucky. In fact, too many are not. And so, for them, I write this post. Because I believe that when we share our stories, we can work to help others understand us. In fact, one of the very first lessons that I teach my fifth grade students each year is that writing our stories, sharing our stories, gives us the power to help shape and define how others see us. And right now, I think that the world needs to see that the teachers are breaking.

No comments: