Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Level four schools money: up for grabs?

I was holding off on posting about this, hoping to get more complete information. I haven't, despite asking, so I share here what I do know.
Worcester sent a delegation off to present Level 4 school plans to state officials just before February break, in hopes of winning School Turnaround Grant funds. "Winning" is the term here now, because the game has changed, yet again.
The state threw open the competition for those funds to many others--I've heard 70, I've heard 100--more schools around the state. Thus it is not only a question of "did you do what we asked=getting the funds," but now also WPS (and other districts with Level 4 schools) have to show that they are doing better or more than these other schools.
I don't know how, when, or by whom the decision was made. I also should point out that Boston, due to declaring their schools early, did NOT have to compete for their funds.
Thus the question of whether we'll get money for Union Hill and Chandler Elementary at all.
The superintendent has told us that we will know by the end of the day tomorrow.
I will post here once we do.

1 comment:

Jim Gonyea said...

Wow. The illogic of it is astounding.