Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Old Classical High

It recently occurred to me that I, as a School Committee member, sometimes see things that other people don't get to. Here's the first of what I hope to make a regular feature of photos of places you may not have seen.

If you're around Worcester long enough, you're sure to hear references to Classical High School. I didn't realize this until recently, but the "old Classical High" is the current Durkin Administration Building. There's plenty of people who never have reason to set foot in the building--it's that brick Queen Anne style building up on Crown Hill--and it retains much of what was clearly a lovely building of its era.
Here's a photo of one of my favorite parts of the building, the second floor auditorium:
This shot is of the front of the room with the stage.
Here's a (not great; taken by phone) shot of the balcony that goes across the back (which is the front of the building) on the third floor. The room is open to the third floor.
The building (much like Commerce High, now an office building) demonstrates that when they built them in the 1800's and early 1900's, they built well!

2 comments:

Sprout said...

I always thought this would make in interesting rental space for parties, but I'm sure no alcohol on school property...

Tracy Novick said...

I have it on good authority that it has been rented, usually by Classical High reunions, 'though, as you surmise, alcohol isn't allowed.
You're right, 'though it would be a nice place for a party. The school administration Christmas party was here last year.