Tuesday, July 27, 2010

New members named to the MA Board of Ed

...and there's a Worcester member again!
Professor James McDermott of Clark University, along with Vanessa Calderón-Rosado, Chief Executive Officer of Inquilinos Boricuas en Acción, has been named to the Massachusetts Board of Education by Governor Patrick.

While I know neither of these people, I'll say that having a recently-in-the-classroom representative and someone (or two!) who are working in urban schools with a variety of kids is an excellent direction.

Anyone local worked with Professor McDermott? I'd be interested in hearing about him.

2 comments:

gigi said...

Jim McDermott is the genuine article. I've taken many classes with him over the years and I worked with him on projects (Central Mass Writers' Project, various Prof. Dev. events) when he was the City English Coordinator. He's an advocate for educating the whole student and challenging kids to do their best. Given his love of the "subversive," I'm surprised (but pleased) to see that he's going to be part of the DOE. I think he'll be a great voice for urban schools and sane curriculum and testing development.

Tracy Novick said...

That's the second enthusiastically positive comment I've heard about him. Very hopeful, thanks!