Friday, March 28, 2008

Do classroom visitors get it?

If you haven't yet read Nikki Connery's column in this week's Worcester Magazine, do so right away. She does an excellent job of capturing the disconnect between the Department of Education and the reality on the ground in our city schools:

From my perspective, I see my students working together, engaged, learning. But I am certain that the men and women from the DOE are observing my classroom through a very different lens. They have their own opinion of teachers in "under-performing" city schools. They pay no attention to the lack of staff, of materials, of parental support for students or the neglected physical surroundings.


Thank you, Ms. Connery. You've added to the good you've done in your teaching by sharing this with us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know how to send her an email? I loved her article, it said everything I feel on a monthly basis at my school in Chicago! Please let me know if there is a way to contact her. Missseiferth@gmail.com