Monday, March 12, 2012

Principals' guide to the MCAS

For those of you wondering what the principals are using for the MCAS exam this year, you can find their guide online.
I had received a question about the following from Appendix E:

Appendix E—Sample Administration Forms and Test Materials
Sample Letter
Dear Parent(s) or Guardian(s):
New this spring, students in grades 6 through high school will be asked to read statements about their responsibilities during MCAS testing and to sign an acknowledgement indicating they understand these responsibilities. The statements are shown below. We recommend that you discuss them with your child along with the school’s handbook and related policies.
Thank you for your involvement in your child’s education. Sincerely,
_____________________________________________________________ Principal
By signing below, I promise that
I have not already seen the student test booklet that I will receive;
all the work in my answer booklet will be my own; I will not copy anyone else’s work; I will not let anyone answer questions for me;
I will not use any materials, such as a cell phone or other electronic device, that I am not allowed to have during testing; and
I will not discuss or share information with anyone about the questions until MCAS testing ends in my school.
If I have any questions about these statements, I will talk with my teacher or principal.
I make the promises above and know that there may be consequences for breaking my promises or the test administration rules.
The Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System:
 
This has gone home with some students in the Worcester Public Schools; the option of whether to use it has been left to principals.
Principal’s Administration Manual, Spring 2012

No comments: