Thursday, October 21, 2010

School Committee: President of the EAW

Zaluskas: Packed room tonight on the top floor of the admin building
Talk about a living wage; IA's don't make enough money to support their families
Brought some with him to tell their story

Tina Gafney (hope I spelled that right): IA at Goddard: "we need a living wage"
"This week I'm going to be able to pay my bills...this week I'm going to eat"
Crew chief at a fast food restaurant makes more than we do
"never seen a more dedicate, hardworking...group than the IA's...do more before nine am than most people do all day"
"the more important thing we do...we are affecting children every single day..we are teaching the entire future of this planet"
"has to change, it needs to change"
Ricky Tote (again, hope I got that right) at Gates Lane: in the SAIL program
"'though I don't have a degree, I am highly qualified"
"I have learned an incredible amount of knowledge and experience"
"my story is no different than any other of these IAs in the classroom"
"I am on the top tier of what an IA can earn...for four school years" wages increased $3000 more
making $186 less than she did four years ago, due to health insurance change; concerned about what would happen if the insurance change went through
(I'm going to check these numbers for the contract negotiations, as the health insurance money going back is graded; this was a committee concern)
qualify for fuel assistance: "not ashamed to say it"
"give the respect they deserve and offer us a fair and equitable contract"

1 comment:

Joe said...

It's hard for me to take the EAW seriously when its members vote for pay raises instead of opting to keep more teachers employed. (http://www.worcestermag.com/home/top-stories/Union-City-Blues-104895599.html)

I haven't had a pay raise in 2 years. (in fact, counting the "forced vacation" policy my company implemented, I made less last year than in previous years. I'm still happy to have a job.

Things are tough all over. If the union (and its members- the teachers) continue to vote in self-interest, it will mean more kids in each class, more work for the teachers that are left, and less personal interaction for each student.

I hope the school committee holds the line on these negotiations.