Sunday, March 24, 2024

The Board of Ed meets Tuesday

 A short agenda, but some important stuff: 


To comment briefly, from the bottom up:
  • I genuinely do not understand what is going on with the mission and vision things, because from what I can tell, they're using stuff from 2019, and then aligning things they're already doing with that. At least, that was what was going on at the last round of this I saw.
    (Some day, someone is going to shock me, by grounding this is the constitutional reason for public education for Massachusetts, but let's say that I'm not holding my breath!)

  • I'm annoyed that they didn't share the virtual school information until well after they posted the agenda; no one had any more information, so good luck if you wished to speak. Reviewing the now posted backup, we can see that we're going for another round of "we're going to say yes with a lot of conditions" which a) is not a good plan for an educational institution, and b) should sound hauntingly familiar to any who followed DESE's last charter approval. 
    Also, I completely don't understand how the state that couldn't insist hard enough that no child should be learning via a screen, that won't allow districts the option of virtual school on snow days, wants to add another virtual school. 

  • Commissioner's search: hey! Let's not make it a whole bunch of "education is only about business, and the last time we were near a school, we were students!" people like last time, please! 

Tuesday, 9 am. I'll be blogging from Everett

No comments: